The Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund (LEAF) is a national non-profit organization and federally registered charity. LEAF works to advance the equality of women and girls in Canada through litigation, law reform and public legal education.
LEAF is hiring a full time staff lawyer, commencing as soon as possible. The position is located in Toronto.
- Contribute to the development and management of LEAF cases, including providing staff support to LEAF’s Law Program Committee and case subcommittees;
- Conduct legal and other research in support of LEAF’s work on litigation, law reform and public legal education;
- Supervise law students and legal volunteers;
- Respond to requests for information or assistance from LEAF;
- Participate in drafting or coordinating submissions to government, and presenting to government bodies on LEAF’s behalf where appropriate;
- Engage in broad-based consultations to develop principled feminist positions on complex points of law;
- Undertake public legal education work, including writing/editing public outreach materials, making oral presentations and speaking to the media;
- Assist with developing grant proposals;
- Provide regular reports to LEAF Board; and
- Develop and maintain links with other equality-seeking organizations.
- Membership in a provincial or territorial bar, with a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience after bar admission;
- Excellent knowledge of feminist legal theory as well as Canadian constitutional and equality law;
- Excellent legal and policy research skills and a solid understanding of the litigation process;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team of staff and/or volunteers;
- Demonstrated commitment to equality rights for women and girls;
- Expertise in feminist intersectional legal analysis;
- Commitment to consultative and collaborative decision making; and
- Functional bilingualism an asset.
Compensation: Salary range: $80,000 – $90,000. LEAF offers a competitive benefits package and is committed to excellence as a workplace.
How to Apply: LEAF encourages applications from candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities. Applications will be accepted by email only. In the subject line of your email application, reference “Staff Lawyer 2019” and your name. Please submit the following as a single attachment: your cover letter, your curriculum vitae and a list of three employment references (contact name, phone number and email address) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be submitted in Word format or PDF. Please do not submit multiple applications or send additional documents.
Applications for this position will be accepted until noon (Eastern) on June 17, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
No telephone enquiries please.