Location: Toronto or remote from anywhere in Canada
Contract: Full-time, May-August 2023 (16-18 weeks)
Renumeration: $25/hour for a 37.5-hour work week, plus 4% vacation pay
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 2, 2023 at 11:59PM EST
Communications and Advocacy Assistant
The Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund (LEAF) is a national charitable organization that works towards ensuring the law guarantees substantive equality for all women, girls, trans, and non-binary people. Our National Office is based in downtown Toronto, Ontario.
LEAF is hiring a Communications and Advocacy Assistant to support the organization’s work from May to August 2023 (16-18 weeks total).
The Communications and Advocacy Assistant will gain first-hand experience in non-profit communications and advocacy, receive valuable on-the-job training, and learn about media engagement and government relations work.
The successful candidate is passionate about using accessible storytelling and design to advance social change. They also have their finger on the pulse regarding feminist and policy news across Canada.
The Communications and Advocacy Assistant will work closely with LEAF’s Communications and Advocacy Manager, and LEAF’s Reproductive Justice Advocacy Coordinator.
If the public health situation permits, the Communications and Advocacy Assistant will have the option of either working out of LEAF’s National Office in Toronto or working remotely.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Designing social media and/or website graphics
- Developing and planning intersectional feminist content for LEAF’s social media accounts
- Assisting with website maintenance, content uploading, and updates
- Supporting the development and promotion of advocacy campaigns
- Providing general communications and research support
- Growing LEAF’s media capacity, including supporting the development of a media contacts database and identifying new contacts
- Growing LEAF’s government relations capacity, including supporting the development of a government relations contacts and tracking database
Qualifications and Experience
- 1-2 years’ relevant work experience or enrollment in a relevant educational program (communications, design, policy, political science, public affairs)
- Demonstrated experience producing social media content, including for Instagram and Twitter
- Solid verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to express ideas and opinions clearly and effectively
- Strong graphic design skills and proficiency with Adobe Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) and Canva
- Demonstrated ability to translate formal materials into plain language and to prepare materials that meet accessibility standards
- Proficiency and effectiveness with online platforms, digital engagement tools, technology, and computer applications, including Microsoft Office Suite and Google
- Demonstrated commitment to intersectional feminism and/or social justice
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively, both independently and as part of a team, and to meet tight deadlines
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Proficiency with WordPress
- Working knowledge of French (reading and writing comprehension)
- Experience using Asana and Airtable
The Communications and Advocacy Assistant will be paid at a rate of $25 per hour for a 37.5-hour work week, plus 4% vacation pay.
How to Apply
LEAF encourages applications from candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities. We strongly encourage applications from Black, Indigenous, and racialized people, as well as from newcomers, gender-diverse people, and members of other equity-deserving groups. If you are comfortable, please indicate in your cover letter if you identify as a member of an equity-deserving group.
LEAF welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities for all available positions. Where possible, accommodations will be made available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply, please submit the following to [email protected] as a single PDF attachment:
- Your cover letter
- Your curriculum vitae
In the subject line of your email application, reference “LEAF Communications and Advocacy Assistant”.
Please address your application to the Hiring Committee. In your cover letter, please ensure that you explain why you would like to work at LEAF, and why you are qualified for the position as tied to the duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and experience listed above.
Please do not submit multiple applications or send additional documents.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59PM EST on Sunday, April 2, 2023. Interviews will take place virtually.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.