The application period for this position has now ended. We thank all those who applied. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund (LEAF) is a national non-profit organization dedicated to advancing the equality rights of women and girls in Canada through litigation, law reform and public legal education. For more than 30 years, LEAF’s work has influenced the evolution of constitutional equality principles in Canada and made an important difference in the daily lives of women and girls across the country.
LEAF is looking for a new Executive Director & General Counsel. The ideal candidate is a dynamic, visionary lawyer with deep roots in the feminist community. She has the background and demonstrated skills to align LEAF’s litigation, legal programming and operations. She will provide leadership on all aspects of LEAF’s operations, including human resources, fund development, and financial management. She is an effective communicator capable of representing LEAF to the donors, funders, government departments and partners that are central to LEAF’s success. She will strengthen LEAF’s relationships with its branches and their members across the country. She will be accountable to and work closely with LEAF’s volunteer Board of Directors. She will lead LEAF’s strong staff team, based out of its offices in downtown Toronto.
- Visionary leader in a feminist, advocacy or social justice context
- Canadian law degree or equivalent
- Commitment to intersectional feminism and substantive gender equality
- Exceptional understanding of Canadian constitutional and human rights laws
- Established reputation and relationships in the feminist community
- Strong organizational and management skills, including proven ability to fundraise and manage financial resources effectively
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff, volunteers and external organizations
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Senior experience working within the non-profit sector
- Litigation experience, particularly in constitutional/human rights law, is an asset
- Functional bilingualism is an asset
Compensation: The salary range for this position starts at $150,000. The Board is actively reviewing the position compensation. LEAF offers a competitive benefits package and is committed to being an exemplary place to work.
How to Apply: LEAF encourages applications from candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities. Applications will be accepted by email only. In the subject line of your email application, reference “Executive Director & General Counsel” and your name. Please submit the following as a single attachment: your cover letter, your curriculum vitae and a list of three employment references (contact name, phone number and email address), addressed to [email protected].
LEAF welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Where possible, accommodations will be made available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Applications will be accepted until noon (Eastern) on December 7, 2020. Anticipated start date of March 1st. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone enquiries please.
Download a PDF version of this posting below: