Summer 2021 Law Student, and the John S. Poyen Internship
The Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund (LEAF) is a national non-profit organization with a longstanding history dedicated to advancing the equality rights of women and girls through litigation, law reform, and education. Our National Office is based in downtown Toronto, Ontario.
LEAF is hiring two law students to support the organization’s work from May to August 2021 (16 weeks in total):
- LEAF’s Summer 2021 Law Student position, which is open to all law students enrolled in an accredited law school.
- The John S. Poyen Internship, which is open to 1L and 2L students at the University of Calgary.
The positions will provide two qualified students with the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in feminist legal advocacy, receive valuable on-the-job training, and learn more about advancing substantive gender equality rights through litigation, law reform, and education.
The students will work with LEAF’s legal team and also provide support to the Project Director of LEAF’s Feminist Strategic Litigation Project.
If the public health situation permits, the students will have the option of working out of LEAF’s National Office in Toronto, Ontario, or working remotely. Otherwise, the position will be carried out remotely.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Both students will be involved in all areas of LEAF’s legal work: litigation, law reform, and public legal education.
- The students will be actively involved in legal and academic research, case monitoring, and preparing legal memos and advocacy statements.
- If opportunity permits, the students may be involved in drafting court documents including facta, and may have the opportunity to attend court with LEAF’s legal team.
- The students will assist with administrative legal tasks, including preparing meeting minutes, and communicating LEAF’s legal work to the public.
Qualifications & Experience
- Law student enrolled in an accredited law school
- For the Summer 2021 Law Student position, the student may be enrolled in any accredited law school
- For the John S. Poyen Internship, the student must be a 1L or 2L enrolled at the University of Calgary
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Prior knowledge of constitutional law and feminist legal theory is desirable
- Strong time-management and organizational skills
- Warmth, excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated individual who works well with others
- Good written and oral language skills
- Knowledge of LEAF’s mandate and legal activities
- Demonstrated commitment to feminism and social justice
- Proficiency in both English and French is an asset
The 2021 Summer Law Student Position is funded by the Department for Women and Gender Equality (WAGE). The student will receive $20.00 per hour plus 4% vacation pay, for 36.25 hours per week, for 16 weeks.
The John S. Poyen Internship is a $15,000 scholarship funded through the University of Calgary Faculty of Law, through a gift from the family of John S. Poyen. The scholarship will be paid in four installments to the student over the course of the internship by the University of Calgary, Faculty of Law.
LEAF is an equity employer and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals including women, persons with disabilities, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) candidates, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
LEAF welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Where possible, accommodations will be made available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Applications will be accepted by email only. In the subject line of your email application, reference “LEAF Summer Law Student” and your name. Send applications to [email protected].
Please submit the following as a single attachment:
- Your cover letter
- Your curriculum vitae
- A list of three academic and/or employment references (contact name, phone number and email address)
- A list of the courses in which you are currently enrolled
Please also include your law school transcript or mid-term grades (for 1Ls) as part of your application. This may be submitted as a separate document.
Applications should be submitted in Word format or PDF. Please do not submit multiple applications or send additional documents.
University of Calgary Students: please only submit a single application, which we will consider for both the Summer 2021 Law Student Position and the John S. Poyen Internship. If you would only like to be considered for one of the two positions, please indicate this in your cover letter.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm EST on January 31, 2021. Applicants selected for interviews will be notified on or before February 18, 2021. Interviews will be held during the March 2 interview week (between 8am EST on Tuesday March 2, 2021, and 3pm EST on Thursday March 4, 2021).
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Download the PDF version of this posting here.