LEAF is excited to announce the launch of its Feminist Strategic Litigation Project.
The project will evaluate LEAF’s past strategic litigation work, and develop a five-year feminist strategic litigation plan. This plan will help LEAF and gender equality advocates to more effectively work towards substantive equality for women and girls in Canada – including those experiencing multiple levels of oppression.
To make this plan, we need to know two things:
- Where and how is LEAF’s legal work most effective?
- What issues are most important to women and girls across Canada?
Over the three years of the project, LEAF will be reaching out to other organizations and individuals involved in feminist advocacy and service delivery to help us answer these questions. This includes through:
- Consultations on the impact of LEAF’s past work, and the impact of feminist strategic litigation more broadly
- A needs assessment survey to identify key issues impacting the equality rights of women and girls through an intersectional lens
- A symposium bringing together experts on law and gender equality, including those with expertise from their lived experience of inequality
- Engagement and communication throughout the test phase of the feminist strategic litigation plan
LEAF will also draw on the expertise of the project’s Advisory Committee. The Advisory Committee’s members are drawn from feminists, and women and girl’s organizations from across the country. The committee’s members include:
- Avalon Sexual Assault Centre
- Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies (CAEFS)
- DAWN Canada
- Institute for the Advancement of Aboriginal Women (IAAW)
- Linda Silver Dranoff: lawyer, feminist, activist, and writer
- Metropolitan Action Committee on Violence Against Women and Children (METRAC)
- Nathalie Léger: lawyer, La Centrale des syndicats du Québec (CSQ); member, LEAF’s Law Program Committee
- Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada
- West Coast LEAF
For more information, please see the project’s webpage.
Project Director, Feminist Strategic Litigation Project
T: 416-595-7170 ext. 2007
E: [email protected]
Please let us know if you require any accommodations to learn more about the project. We will be happy to assist.
The Feminist Strategic Litigation Project is funded by the Department for Women and Gender Equality, formerly Status of Women Canada.